Delayed Processing Tip Sheet
Delayed processing is the brain's decreased/slowed ability to process information you hear, see, or think about.
Look for These Difficulties
- Hard time keeping up with the pace of conversations
- Difficulty following directions or missing steps
- Prone to distractions or "zoning out"
- Often feeling tired or mentally foggy
- Viewed as unmotivated/slow moving
- Misunderstood as uncooperative, or resistant due to slow responsiveness
- Ask for extra time in groups or classes
- Ask for meetings to be held in places free of distractions
- To help you follow directions with a lot of steps, write the steps down and do one at a time
- Write down tasks step by step
- Ask for clarification if there is something you do not understand
- Physical activity supports brain function; make sure to add exercise to your day
Advocate for your needs!