Mindfulness Tip Sheet
Focusing one's awareness on the present moment, while calmly acknowledging and accepting one's feelings, thoughts, and bodily sensations.
- Focus on breathing for 60 seconds. Take a deep breath in through the nose, hold for six seconds, and then breathe out through the mouth for six seconds
- If agitated, tune into what the body is doing (for example, tapping foot, clenching fists)
- Focus on input from your five senses: touch, sight, smell, hearing, and taste (for example, choose any color and spend one minute finding objects near you in that color)
- Describe an object in the room for 60 seconds (identify the texture, shape, and physical features)
- Utilize free mindfulness apps to learn more grounding exercises
You cannot breathe in the past, you cannot breathe in the future, but you can focus on breath today.