Self-Awareness Tip Sheet
The ability to assess one's own abilities and limitations. Individuals with brain injury may not recognize changes in behavior or personality.
Look for These Difficulties
- Difficulty recognizing a problem while it is happening
- Difficulty understanding why rehabilitation therapies are needed
- Difficulty putting goals and strategies into action
- Difficulty generalizing knowledge from one situation to another
- Difficulty monitoring your progress
- Not following recommendations of providers
- Learn how to use safe "supported risk-taking" techniques from providers
- Work with providers to develop effective problem solving techniques
- Ask for realistic feedback from members of your support system
- Use a memory notebook, video reviews, or device, like a cellphone, to track progress and setbacks
- Consider participating in individual therapy to help you process the changes in your life
Adjustments and change take time!