Brain Injury Playing Cards
Entertaining way to spread awareness.
Brain injury playing cards from the North Dakota Brain Injury Network (NDBIN) are intended to help families, providers, and survivors learn new facts, open dialogue, and aid in the recovery of individuals with brain injury. Each card in the standard deck of playing cards includes a fact about brain injury.
- Family and friends better support their loved ones when they know more about brain injury
- Education about brain injury is important for everyone
- Learning about brain injury helps survivors to understand their own recovery
Games work on skills in a fun, interactive way.
Card games may sound like child's play, but they are helpful tools in recovery and rehabilitation. Research shows that playing games like cards, puzzles, or board games are good ways to practice skills and exercise the mind.
- Playing games can trigger forgotten skills and make practice fun
- Cards are a simple and inexpensive way to take recovery anywhere
- Multiplayer games help with communication and social skills
Request a Deck of Cards
North Dakota residents can request decks of our NDBIN brain injury playing cards. Each card in the standard deck of playing cards includes a fact about brain injury. If you would like to receive a free deck, complete this form:
- Card Sorting works on motor skills, concentration, sequencing, and attention. Cards can be sorted many ways! By suit, odd/even numbers, black/red, every other even/odd, etc.
- Solitaire Games helps with sequencing, math skills, concentration, and visual memory.
- Memory/Matching Games develop recognition, recall, spatial memory, attention, and concentration. Start simple with limited number of matches and work up to more complex variations.
- War helps with focus, attention, speed, recognition, categorization, and reaction time.
- Golf works on social skills, math skills, visual memory, recall, recognition, and short-term memory.
- Kings in the Corner develops socialization, sequencing, recognition, visual memory, attention, and focus.
- Gin Rummy helps with reading social cues, sequencing, recognition, visual memory, attention, and focus.
- Hearts enhances socialization, attention span, concentration, memory, and logical reasoning.